of an apparent MT-Blacklist bug: Don’t delete weblogs!
Mena Trott of Six Apart has asked a question of the community of Movable Type users: How are you using the tool?
My current setup is very simple, I have two authors – Nadia and myself – on three different MT-weblogs. There’s this main weblog, Nadia’s weblog, and another weblog called Words (which is drastically under-used at the moment). When I taught a class at McGill, I used my installation to do an entirely independent class website as well – one for each semester. Right now, I fit in under the personal license at US$70 (that’s over $100 to we Canadians), and I can live with that (barely). The full US$100 is out of the question, though – I find that very expensive. And when my class sites were up, I don’t know which terms I would have fallen under.
The other issue I worry about is in terms of other projects that I do from time to time. At the moment, for instance, I have been laying the groundwork for a personal project that would involve at least 6-12 authors in one website at another domain. It would be non-commercial (though it would be indistinguishable from a commercial site), but I don’t think I’d pay US$150 plus hosting fees (in addition to a LOT of my time) for such a project. And if I have to ask contributors (who would be doing it for fun) to pay me US$10 each for the privilege, well, it’s doubtful anyone would do that. As far as I am concerned, the current licensing terms make it difficult if not impossible to use MT for a hobbyist publishing initiative, like a small ‘zine or something like that.
TypeKey, from Six Apart, makers of Movable Type and TypePad. I’ve been starting to think that Flickr might have something to offer in this area as well. My personal view is that they should work together and figure out how to federate this in some way. It would go a long way to calming fears that will arise from those who don’t want to rely on a single, central server from a single company.
As of today I’ve switched over to Movable Type to manage this site. I think everything is working properly, and all old links to posts should still be valid. There are still some small changes to make, but the big work is done.
a switch to an all-new backend to this site – this accounts for the lack of posts in recent days. Although I really enjoy Blogger, and will continue to use it for other sites, and despite testing and enjoying Radio Userland as well, I have decided to use Movable Type. The switch over has been extremely simple and has gone very smoothly – the only delay has been in the implementation of some features in different ways than the default install suggests, which has taken some learning to do properly. A very nice thing is that all of the current permalinks should continue to work as always.